Monday, February 10, 2014

That Cold Black Cloud is Comin' Down

     Being me these last five years is a lot like being Job after he was swallowed by the whale and looking for the asshole. No pun intended, it'd be a shitty way to escape the whale's body but at least it would promise an end, some resolution. Right wing lunatics on the internet notwithstanding, I still haven't found that magic asshole.
     To use a less scatological simile, since the winter of 2009 it's as if I've been living under a black cloud with more staying power than the red storm on Jupiter. I've said recently that if you're in your 50's and forced to start all over again and especially if you've been out of a job for years as I have, you're simply the most unemployable person in the country. As far as I'm concerned, every day I remain unemployed is a failure on both my part and the Powers That Be, the out of touch hiring managers who sit behind desks and easily ask during my increasingly rare job interviews, "So, what have you been doing all these years?"
     Things haven't gotten any easier of late. Let me give you the abstracts:
     The week before last, I was stupid enough to loan $150 to a woman whom I thought I knew and whom I considered a friend. The day the money came due, I started hearing the excuses and I haven't heard a peep from them in a week and a half. This required I file a lawsuit in the county small claims court, which cost me $40 (Yeah. I, the victim, have to front the filing fee). I just got my own summons in the mail. The court date has been set for April 8th.
     The problem with that is the money I loaned this family that cynically used their two kids to extract it from me was part of my rent money and I even told them this. Obviously, they don't care. I should get the clerk magistrate to rule in favor of me since I have the evidence I loaned them the money and that they agreed to pay me back on January 30th. But there's no telling when the guy will actually pay up or how much time the magistrate will give him. That money's gone until I have to use the full force of the law to get it back. And, as just stated, if and when I'm finally repaid, it'll be past the point when April's rent is due.
     Obviously, I'm not loaning anyone money ever again. And the only reason I did this for these people is because the wife kept asking me for help and saying she'd have to hock her belongings so she could feed her kids. Her husband, who's gainfully employed and has insurance for the whole family, is depending on me, one of the poorest guys in town and on public assistance, to feed his own kids and pay the $100 in co-pays for his wife's medicine because he's such a hillbilly grifter. But that's beside the point.
     The point is, due to my soft spot for kids, even those that aren't my own, I partly got us into a mess from which we need help getting extricated. Adding to our woes is the fact that I still owe the IRS and state DOR $800 in back taxes from FY 2009 because I never seem to have enough funds to justify paying them off. The registration is due to be renewed by the end of the month and by then the annual excise tax is also due (That's $100 right there). Plus, my 16 year-old car is acting wonky and cutting out on me so we may be looking at a repair bill in the future. And things haven't been made any easier for us since Congress allowed to let the ARRA lapse, costing us part of our SNAP benefits that we need to keep body and soul together.
     Mrs. JP and I desperately need your help. Since the first draft of my novel is finished, I can free up some time for daily blogging to justify any remuneration that may come our way. In fact, I was creating comic strips all day yesterday and have put them in the can so even if I don't write anything until Sunday, a new strip at least will appear once a day for nearly a week both here and at Brilliant at Breakfast, where I'm trying to keep Jill's place somewhat updated with exclusives while she endures her own recent misfortunes.
     So if you could please see your way toward helping us even in the slightest, we'd be immensely grateful. Thanks in advance.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

KindleindaWind, my writing blog.

All Time Classics

  • Our Worse Half: The 25 Most Embarrassing States.
  • The Missing Security Tapes From the World Trade Center.
  • It's a Blunderful Life.
  • The Civil War II
  • Sweet Jesus, I Hate America
  • Top Ten Conservative Books
  • I Am Mr. Ed
  • Glenn Beck: Racist, Hate Monger, Comedian
  • The Ten Worst Music Videos of all Time
  • Assclowns of the Week

  • Links to the first 33 Assclowns of the Week.
  • Links to Assclowns of the Week 38-63.
  • #106: The Turkey Has Landed edition
  • #105: Blame it on Paris or Putin edition
  • #104: Make Racism Great Again Also Labor Day edition
  • #103: A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Toilet edition
  • #102: Orange is the New Fat edition
  • #101: Electoral College Dropouts edition
  • #100: Centennial of Silliness edition
  • #99: Dr. Strangehate edition
  • #98: Get Bentghazi edition
  • #97: SNAPping Your Fingers at the Poor edition
  • #96: Treat or Treat, Kiss My Ass edition
  • #95: Monumental Stupidity double-sized edition
  • #94: House of 'Tards edition
  • #93: You Da Bomb! edition.
  • #92: Akin to a Fool edition.
  • #91: Aurora Moronealis edition.
  • #90: Keep Your Gubmint Hands Off My High Pre'mums and Deductibles! edition.
  • #89: Occupy the Catbird Seat/Thanksgiving edition.
  • #88: Heil Hitler edition.
  • #87: Let Sleeping Elephants Lie edition.
  • #86: the Maniacs edition.
  • #85: The Top 50 Assclowns of 2010 edition.
  • #(19)84: Midterm Madness edition.
  • #83: Spill, Baby, Spill! edition.
  • #82: Leave Corporations Alone, They’re People! edition.
  • #81: Hatin' on Haiti edition.
  • #80: Don't Get Your Panties in a Twist edition.
  • #79: Top 50 Assclowns of 2009 edition.
  • #78: Nattering Nabobs of Negativism edition.
  • #77: ...And Justice For Once edition.
  • #76: Reading Tea Leaves/Labor Day edition.
  • #75: Diamond Jubilee/Inaugural Edition
  • #74: Dropping the Crystal Ball Edition
  • #73: The Twelve Assclowns of Christmas Edition
  • #72: Trick or Treat Election Day Edition
  • #71: Grand Theft Autocrats Edition
  • #70: Soulless Corporations and the Politicians Who Love Them Edition
  • Empire Of The Senseless.
  • Christwire.org: Conservative Values for an Unsaved World.
  • Esquire's Charles Pierce.
  • Brilliant @ Breakfast.
  • The Burning Platform.
  • The Rant.
  • Mock, Paper, Scissors.
  • James Petras.
  • Towle Road.
  • Avedon's Sideshow (the new site).
  • At Largely, Larisa Alexandrovna's place.
  • The Daily Howler.
  • The DCist.
  • Greg Palast.
  • Jon Swift. RIP, Al.
  • God is For Suckers.
  • The Rude Pundit.
  • Driftglass.
  • Newshounds.
  • William Grigg, a great find.
  • Brad Blog.
  • Down With Tyranny!, Howie Klein's blog.
  • Wayne's World. Party time! Excellent!
  • Busted Knuckles, aka Ornery Bastard.
  • Mills River Progressive.
  • Right Wing Watch.
  • Earthbond Misfit.
  • Anosognosia.
  • Echidne of the Snakes.
  • They Gave Us a Republic.
  • The Gawker.
  • Outtake Online, Emmy-winner Charlotte Robinson's site.
  • Skippy, the Bush Kangaroo
  • No More Mr. Nice Blog.
  • Head On Radio Network, Bob Kincaid.
  • Spocko's Brain.
  • Pandagon.
  • Slackivist.
  • WTF Is It Now?
  • No Blood For Hubris.
  • Lydia Cornell, a very smart and accomplished lady.
  • Roger Ailes (the good one.)
  • BlondeSense.
  • The Smirking Chimp.
  • Hammer of the Blogs.
  • Vast Left Wing Conspiracy.
  • Argville.
  • Existentialist Cowboy.
  • The Progressive.
  • The Nation.
  • Mother Jones.
  • Vanity Fair.
  • Salon.com.
  • Citizens For Legitimate Government.
  • News Finder.
  • Indy Media Center.
  • Lexis News.
  • Military Religious Freedom.
  • McClatchy Newspapers.
  • The New Yorker.
  • Bloggingheads TV, political vlogging.
  • Find Articles.com, the next-best thing to Nexis.
  • Altweeklies, for the news you won't get just anywhere.
  • The Smirking Chimp
  • Don Emmerich's Peace Blog
  • Wikileaks.
  • The Peoples' Voice.
  • Dictionary.com.
  • CIA World Fact Book.
  • IP address locator.
  • Tom Tomorrow's hilarious strip.
  • Babelfish, an instant, online translator. I love to translate Ann Coulter's site into German.
  • Newsmeat: Find out who's donating to whom.
  • Wikipedia.
  • Uncyclopedia.
  • anysoldier.com
  • Icasualties
  • Free Press
  • YouTube
  • The Bone Bridge.
  • Powered by Blogger